Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Don't Take Away My Blessing

I have awesome friends... just going to get that out there. The shirt and hat in this picture (along with a pair of shoes not shown) were recently given to me by some really great friends, just 'cuz.

My initial reaction is "No... you can't buy that for me. Just because I don't have money doesn't mean you need to spend yours."

Then I remember, or am reminded, of the life lesson Pastor Vinnie has told us over and over again. Don't take away my blessing. Think about it, if you do something awesome for someone, you want them to enjoy it, not feel guilty about it. So, take that and turn it around... don't feel guilty when someone does something nice for you. That's a pride issue, for me anyway...

I LOVE giving gifts to people. I love everything from creating intricate plans (involving sending a letter one word a day for a few weeks), crafty stuff (painting anyone? ductape belt???), to the detailed wrapping (I'm pretty happy with my bow making skills - taught to me by one capable mother. Though I am ashamed to admit that my brother can actually wrap better than I can). Anyway, so when people get my gifts, I really want them enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it. No guilt. Same with anything else, if I offer to buy your coffee... just take it. No need to try to talk me out of it. :)

Why is it so hard to go the other way? Pastor Pettet has said multiple times that it's easier to give than to receive. It seems backwards, but it is very true.

So, I won't become a moocher, but I also promise not to take away your blessing.

Claudia and Roni, Thank you! I appreciate it, you made my week that much better!

1 comment:

  1. I will be your sugar momma any day :) If you will be my sugar baby. hahaha.

    Also be reminded that it is not just about tangible gifts. You & Ur family have given Ana & I much greater gifts (better than the Brazil shirt) you guys have always loved & supported us!

    I'm happy to be able to bless you with a t-shirt because I do not know where I would be without you guys. Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete